LeaveHomeSafe App Shuts Down After Two Years, Deletes All Visit Records
by: The Beat Asia
January 09, 2023
The government has announced that the LeaveHomeSafe system has ceased operation and will no longer be updated, according to a Jan. 8 government press release.
Initially developed and launched for COVID contract tracing purposes, the LeaveHomeSafe application was introduced with functions built to facilitate living with the pandemic.
With the resumption of quarantine-free travel with the mainland on Sunday, including the recent dropping of anti-epidemic measures, the government said LeaveHomeSafe has run its course.
The Office of the Government Chief Information Officer received instruction from the Department of Health to delete all visit records in the system that were previously uploaded.
“The deletion is completed” it said in the statement.
In addition to the LeaveHomeSafe systems being shut down, the LeaveHomeSafe hotline and mobile support stations in MTR stations have also stopped operating.
People who have downloaded the LeaveHomeSafe app may still use it to acquire a QR code for PCR testing.
Subscribe to The Beat's newsletter to receive compelling, curated content straight to your inbox! You can also create an account with us for free to start bookmarking articles for later reading.